In today’s world, everything has become more visual! With the proliferation of internet users, and access to a wide variety of movies, images, videos and GIF’s, consumers are clamouring for more interesting, beautiful and engaging content. When selling a product, or a brand, interesting, quirky or just plain stunning images are the way to go. Depending on the product, clear images are key, and the focus should always be on what is being sold.
Without further ado, here are some tips to keep in mind when choosing or taking images for an e-commerce platform:
- Use a clean or neutral background for product shoots. If there are too many elements in a frame, this can prove distracting to the eye and make it difficult for the consumer to really engage with the items they need to.
- Ditch the flash. Natural or diffused lighting is much better for shooting, as it is warmer and more inviting to the eye. Flash can often cast an unnatural glow on things.
- Make sure to show your item’s scale. Consumers may think an item is bigger than it actually is or smaller, so it is crucial to capture its scale.
- Product photographs or images where the product is front and center are most important as they have a high conversion rate, as compared to in-context images. In-context images are more like natural, everyday images of people carrying out activities either wearing or using the product. However, it is good to keep some in-context images on your site, to add to the aesthetic and to make your brand more relatable.
- Take images from several different angles. If you’re only selling an item online, customers can’t try or touch the item and this makes a huge difference to their purchasing mindsets. By taking images from different angles, it can help alleviate their fears and make them more confident when making a purchase.
- Use a tripod when shooting images, unless you have already hired a professional who uses one. Tripods help steady a camera, ensuring no blurry and out of focus images. It also frees up your hands to adjust the product accordingly.
- Ensure you post-process your images. Retouching and perfecting an image is essential before uploading it to your e-commerce site. Getting the images post processed professionally will enhance the look and feel of the products being sold.
- Lastly, and most importantly, be consistent. If you’ve developed a certain aesthetic while shooting a product, stick to it. Don’t keep changing your style as this won’t impact the consumer who will lose interest. Figure out your own design personality, and stick to that.
By following these simple steps, you can really transform your brand and your e-commerce site and become a force to be reckoned with.